Homemade Mango Chutney
Processing method: Water Bathing
Processing time:Process for 15 minutes (Pints), 20 minutes for Quarts, (adjust for altitude)
- 1,001- 3,000 ft. - add 5 minutes
- 3,001- 6,000 ft. - add 10 minutes
- 6,001- 8,000 ft. - add 15 minutes
- 8,001-10,000 ft. - add 20 minutes
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup distilled white vinegar
- 4 to 5 large, ripe mangoes (about 3 1/2 pounds), peeled and cut in 3/4-inch pieces (about 6 cups)
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup crystallized ginger, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon whole mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Wash your mangoes under cold running water. Make sure you have large, ripe mangoes. Peel and cut them in ¾ inch pieces.
Grab a stock pot, combine vinegar and sugar while bringing to a boil. Mix until sugar dissolves.
Combine the rest of the ingredients in the pot and simmer, uncovered, until the syrup is slightly thickened. Stir occasionally while it simmers, this should take around an hour.
Get your sterile jars and pour the mixture in leaving ½ inch of headspace. Wipe the rims clean and twist the rings on fingertip tight.
Process for 15 minutes. After processing remove your jars with a jar lifter and place the jars on a towel or padded surface to allow them to cool. You should hear a snap or ding as they are cooling when the lid's seal is formed. Test the seal and store away till you're ready to eat!